Joe Gibbs Racing (JGR) announces today that Trevor Bayne will return to Joe Gibbs Racing for three races throughout the remainder of the 2023 NASCAR Xfinity Series (NXS) season in the No. 19 Toyota GR Supra. Bayne will make his JGR return this weekend in the Wawa 250 at Daytona International Speedway on Friday, August 25th. The Knoxville, Tennessee native will then kick off the NXS playoffs at his home track, Bristol Motor Speedway, on September 15th and finish out his three-race-deal the following weekend at Texas Motor Speedway, where he won the 2011 O’Reilly Auto Parts Challenge, on September 23rd.
- BAYNE AT DAYTONA: At just 20 years old, Trevor Bayne famously became the youngest Daytona 500 Champion back in 2011 when he won The Great American Race in just his second NCS start. Outside of his career-defining win back in 2011, the two-and-a-half-mile superspeedway has been good to Bayne over the years as he has scored one top-five, four top-tens, 23 laps led, and a pole throughout his nine NXS starts at the track. Bayne has also made 16 NCS starts at Daytona, where he has accumulated one win, two top-fives, four top-tens, and ten laps led.
- MAKING HIS RETURN: Following a six-year hiatus from NXS competition, Bayne made his JGR debut last season where he posted five top-five and seven top-ten finishes, while leading 176 laps and earning an average finish of 8.0 in only nine NXS starts. Bayne has made 161 career NXS starts and has become a fan favorite over the years. The 32-year-old veteran has accumulated two wins, nine poles, 30 top-five, and 80 top-10 finishes. He also has nine seasons of NASCAR Cup Series (NCS) experience, where he left his mark on the sport with his aforementioned Daytona 500 victory.
- ON THE PITBOX: Bayne will reunite with storied NXS crew chief Jason Ratcliff, who sat atop the pit box of the No.18 Toyota GR Supra for Bayne last year and has led the charge for the No.19 throughout the 2023 season. The duo immediately clicked last season as they kicked off their rapport with a third place in Fontana and continued to impress with two runner-up performances in Nashville and Loudon. Out of all drivers with at least nine starts in 2022, Bayne posted the second-best average finish (8.0) under Ratcliff’s leadership.
- THE 19 IN 2023: Bayne will join Myatt Snider, Joe Graf Jr., Ryan Truex, Ty Gibbs, and Connor Mosack as drivers that have made a start in the No. 19 Toyota GR Supra for Joe Gibbs Racing this season. The collective effort has led the No.19 Toyota GR Supra to 8th in the NXS owner’s standings, highlighted by two wins at Dover and Indianapolis earlier this year.
- NEW DRIVER, SAME GREAT PARTNERS: He Gets Us ® and Interstate Batteries have extended their well-established partnerships with Joe Gibbs Racing for Bayne’s return to racing. The No.19 Toyota GR Supra can be seen in He Gets Us ® colors at Daytona and Bristol, while Interstate Batteries will appear as the primary partner at Texas Motor Speedway.
- JGR AT DAYTONA: In 117 NXS starts at Daytona International Speedway, Joe Gibbs Racing has collected 4 wins, 30 Top-Fives, 49 Top-Tens and 9 poles, while leading 719 laps.
- FOLLOW ALONG: Follow along for updates and a behind-the-scenes look at Truex’s 2023 season.
- RACE INFO: Coverage of this weekend’s Xfinity Series Race at Daytona International Speedway is scheduled for Friday, August 25th at 7:30 P.M. ET on USA Network, MRN Radio, SiriusXM NASCAR Radio, and streaming on the NBC Sports app.
Trevor Bayne, Driver of the No. 19 He Gets Us Toyota GR Supra
“I’m excited to get back in the seat, especially with Jason (Ratcliff) at the helm. We had some strong runs together last year and came close to taking home a trophy a couple of times. It doesn’t hurt that Daytona and Texas have been really good to me in the past, either. Hopefully, we can go out there, pick back up where we left off last year, and compete for a trip to victory lane.”
Jason Ratcliff, Crew Chief of the No. 19 Toyota GR Supra
"It’s great to have Trevor (Bayne) back in our car again. He’s a class act on and off the track and we got up to speed quickly last year. He’s going to be valuable for us, especially in the playoffs. We’re going to benefit a lot from his experience and level-headedness as we try to make it through the Round of 12.”
Steve Desouza, Executive Vice President - GM of JGR NXS
“Trevor (Bayne) was a great addition to our program last year and we’re excited to have him back. He brings a great attitude to the track and shows a lot of valuable veteran qualities behind the wheel that we can benefit from as we make a run for an owner’s championship this fall.”