No. 54 Monster Energy Toyota GR Supra News and Notes
- ROUND ONE: Ty Gibbs is third in the NASCAR playoffs standings, 49 points ahead of the round of eight cutoff which will happen after this week’s race at the Charlotte Roval.
- ROVAL: Gibbs has only one NASCAR Xfinity start at the Charlotte Roval when he started 12th, led seven laps and finished 21st in October 2022.
- ONE OF THIRTY-SEVEN: Gibbs made his first career NASCAR Cup Series start last month at Pocono Raceway for 23XI Racing. Gibbs is the 37th driver younger than 20-years old to make a Cup Series start. Gibbs started at the rear of the field, but completed all 160 laps and finished an impressive 16th. He has competed in five Cup races with a best finish of 10th at Michigan International Speedway.
- NEW RECORD: Gibbs is the youngest driver ever to reach nine victories in the NASCAR Xfinity Series at age 19 years 10 months and two days old. The previous record was held by Joey Logano.
- 2021: Gibbs completed in only 18 Xfinity races in 2021, but won four races and finished 13th in the Xfinity Series final driver point standings. That earned him the Xfinity Rookie of the Year award.
- WHAT A DEBUT: In Gibbs’ Xfinity Series debut in February 2021 at the Daytona Road Course, he led 14 of the 56 laps en route to his first career Xfinity Series win. Gibbs became the youngest driver to win a Xfinity road course race at 18 years, 4 months, 16 days. The Charlotte, N.C., native also became the second-youngest winner in Xfinity Series history after Joey Logano who won in June 2008 at Kentucky Speedway in Sparta when he was 18 years and 21 days old.
- IN GOOD COMPANY: Gibbs is the sixth driver to win in his Xfinity Series debut, joining Dale Earnhardt, Joe Ruttman, Ricky Rudd, Terry Labonte and Kurt Busch. Those five drivers had already driven in the NASCAR Cup Series before racing in the Xfinity Series.
- ARCA CHAMPIONS: Gibbs became the 2021 ARCA Menard Series Champions on the strength of 10 wins, plus one win each in ARCA West and ARCA East.
- ATOP THE PIT BOX: Veteran crew chief Chris Gayle will oversee the No. 54 team’s efforts in the 2022 season. Gale, who is from Little Rock, Arkansas, has led his drivers to two NASCAR Cup Series victories and 35 Xfinity Series wins. The list of drivers Gayle has visited victory lane with includes Gibbs, Kyle Busch, Denny Hamlin, Sam Hornish Jr., Erik Jones, Elliott Sadler, Christopher Bell and John Hunter Nemechek.
- JGR AT ROVAL: Joe Gibbs Racing (JGR) has 13 total starts at Roval in Xfinity competition with four top-five finishes, five top-10 finishes and the team has led 55 laps.
- RACE INFO: The NASCAR Xfinity Series race at the Charlotte Roval is scheduled for 3 pm EDT on Saturday, October 8 and will be broadcast on NBC, SiriusXM Channel 90 and PRN.
Ty Gibbs, Driver of the No. 54 Monster Energy Toyota GR Supra
“We have a good points cushion heading into the final round. The key is just getting stage points and finishing strong so we can advance to the round of eight. The Roval is a tough track and it will be interesting with the different strategies. We need to keep our heads down and make sure we’re focused on advancing. I know Chris Gayle and the 54 boys will bring a good Monster Energy Toyota GR Supra.”