INDYCAR, IMS Announce 'Race for Equality & Change'
INDYCAR and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway have announced the “Race for Equality & Change,” a major effort to support diversity and inclusivity across the INDYCAR industry. A key pillar of “Race for Equality & Change” will be a $1 million fund to fuel internal and external programs and initiatives that will create fundamental change.
“As our country has grappled with systemic issues related to race, equality and access to opportunity, we’ve been doing a lot of listening, learning and reflecting,” Penske Entertainment Corp. President and CEO Mark Miles said. “‘Race for Equality & Change’ will create a more diverse and inclusive INDYCAR community that fundamentally transforms our sport.”
Key focuses of the “Race for Equality & Change” include:
- Recruiting and developing a diverse workforce throughout all levels of INDYCAR and IMS
- Diversifying the competitive driver field at the grassroots, Road to Indy and NTT INDYCAR SERIES levels
- Supporting impactful grassroots youth motorsports programs, including enhancing the Indianapolis Motor Speedway’s longstanding partnership with Nexgeneracers, a 501c3 that introduces minority students to the world of motorsports
- Diversifying employment, leadership and ownership within the SERIES and with INDYCAR promoters
- Investment in minority communities to encourage greater engagement with INDYCAR and IMS
- Establishing a procurement program to meaningfully increase the number of minority-owned businesses that contract with INDYCAR and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway each year
As part of today’s announcement, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway pylon will light up with a special “Race for Equality & Change” message during the NTT INDYCAR SERIES GMR Grand Prix.
Adam has been a race fan since the first time he went through the tunnel under the Daytona International Speedway almost 30 years ago. He has had the privilege of traveling to races all across the state of Florida (as well as one race in Ohio), watching nearly everything with a motor compete for fame and glory, as well as participating in various racing schools to get the feel of what racecar drivers go through every week.
Adam spent several years covering motorsports for Examiner.com., where he had the opportunity to see the racing world from behind the scenes as well as the grandstands. He invites everyone to follow him on Twitter, Facebook, and Google Plus, and looks forward to sharing his enthusiasm for all things racing with the readers of SpeedwayDigest.com.
Be sure to tune in for his sports talk program, Thursday Night Thunder, where he discusses the latest in motorsports news with drivers, crew members, and fans. The show takes place (almost) every Thursday at 8:00 pm EST on the Speedway Digest Radio Network.
Contact Adam: Email
Latest from Adam Sinclair
- MyMedic™ And Veterans Charity Ride Deliver Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) To Sturgis, South Dakota First Responders
- America’s First Motorcycle Company & America’s First Registered Distillery Celebrate Quality, American Craftsmanship with Jack Daniel’s® Limited Edition Indian Roadmaster® Dark Horse®
- Dyson Gets Redemption with Trans Am Win at Road America
- Eidson and Aghakhani Recover to Win Second Race of Lamborghini Super Trofeo North America Weekend at Road America
- Dramatic Race at Road America Sees Skeen Score Third TA2® Powered by AEM Win