HAMPTON, Ga.-- Before the green flag falls for today’s Folds of Honor QuickTrip 500. Marcus Smith, Chief Executive Officer of Speedway Motorsports Inc., went on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio with Claire B. Lang to talk about the repaving of Atlanta Motor Speedway (AMS).
Earlier this year, AMS announced that the track would be repaved following the race. The last repave was in 1997.
“I want to sign all the drivers up on the glue team to help us glue the track back together. It’s something that we are definitely looking into. I love all the positive comments we’ve gotten. We’re just going to look into it,” said Smith to SiriusXM.
This news comes as the Las Vegas Convention and Visitor’s Authority (LVCVA) is scheduled to vote on Wednesday to provide funding to Las Vegas Motor Speedway to host a second Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series event, mainly in the playoffs. This vote would be a $2.5 million a year sponsorship agreement scheduled to run until 2024.
“The proposed NASCAR sponsorship will be considered for approval by our board of directors at the March 8 meeting,” the LVCVA said in a statement. “Until the board votes on the proposal, it’s premature for us to comment on it. We have a great relationship with Las Vegas Motor Speedway and NASCAR and we look forward to continuing the partnership.”
NASCAR was quick to release a statement about the 2018 schedule.
“We are constantly working with promoters to discuss and develop NASCAR schedules,” Jim Cassidy, senior vice president of racing operations and NASCAR events, said in a statement. “We have not finalized any schedules for 2018 or beyond but will announce them as they become final.”