A statement from Indianapolis Motor Speedway President J. Douglas Boles about six-time Indianapolis 500 veteran driver Bob Harkey, who died at age 85 on Jan. 16.
"Bob Harkey competed during one of the most transformative times in Indianapolis 500 history as the cars moved from rear-engine to front-engine and from no aerodynamic devices to wings and downforce. But what made Bob Harkey special was his continued involvement in and around the Speedway each May after his racing years. He always had time for our fans, young and old, and his passion for the Indianapolis 500 was evident in every fan interaction. Our thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family."
Latest from Steven B. Wilson
- Motorsports Hall of Fame of America Sets Official Grand Opening
- Gaunt Brothers Racing to Compete in Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series
- Larson’s No. 42 Chevrolet SS Set to Race with Credit One Bank in 2017
- Darlington Raceway announces celebration dates, ticket design for Throwback Weekend 2017
- Advance Auto Parts To Serve As Entitlement Partner For The Clash