A statement from Indianapolis Motor Speedway President J. Douglas Boles about six-time Indianapolis 500 veteran driver Bob Harkey, who died at age 85 on Jan. 16.
"Bob Harkey competed during one of the most transformative times in Indianapolis 500 history as the cars moved from rear-engine to front-engine and from no aerodynamic devices to wings and downforce. But what made Bob Harkey special was his continued involvement in and around the Speedway each May after his racing years. He always had time for our fans, young and old, and his passion for the Indianapolis 500 was evident in every fan interaction. Our thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family."
Latest from Steven B. Wilson
- Allgaier Leads Opening Day of Practice for Lilly Diabetes 250
- Green, Joy Chase Glory in Shootout's 'Shark Week' Showdown
- Justin Fontaine to pull double duty at Pocono Raceway
- Gus Dean ready to put GREE; Win-Tron Racing back in top-five at LOR
- NCWTS Race from Eldora on FOX Business Network Scores Viewership Increase