Wood Brothers Racing announced on Tuesday that their current driver Paul Menard would be retiring from full-time competition following the end of the 2019 season, and the team also announced on Tuesday that they’ve signed Matt DiBenedetto to drive the No. 21 Ford full-time in 2020.
Throughout Menard’s career, Menard has over 460 NASCAR Monster Energy Cup Series starts, and has been with his current team Wood Brothers Racing since the 2018 season. Menard has one career NASCAR Monster Energy Cup Series win which came at Indianapolis Motor Speedway in 2011 while driving for Richard Childress Racing.
“I’ve enjoyed every moment of my career racing in the NASCAR Cup Series, and I’m so thankful for all the great memories and friendships I’ve made through this sport. But I’m looking forward to spending more time with my wife, Jennifer and our two young children while moving forward with the next chapter of my life,” Menard said. “I’m excited for what the future holds and I’m looking forward to sharing the plans for 2020 and beyond in the coming weeks.”
Matt DiBenedetto, who currently drives for Leavine Family Racing, which announced earlier this year that DiBenedetto would not be returning to the No. 95 for 2020.
DiBenedetto has three top-five finishes thus far this season, including a second place finish at Bristol Motor Speedway which he led 93 laps of the race.
"I am so excited about this opportunity to race for one of the most successful teams in NASCAR history beginning in 2020," said DiBenedetto. "The No. 21 Ford is one of the most accomplished and iconic cars in our sport and it will be an honor to join Wood Brothers Racing and help carry on the team’s tradition of success in NASCAR. I want to thank Eddie and Len Wood, Kim Wood Hall, Menards, Edsel Ford and Ford Motor Company for this opportunity.”