Race Winner: Denny Hamlin of Joe Gibbs Racing (Toyota)
Stage 1 Winner: Kyle Larson of Chip Ganassi Racing (Chevrolet)
Stage 2 Winner: Kurt Busch of Chip Ganassi Racing (Chevrolet)
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-125):
● Daniel Suárez started 18th and finished 14th.
● Suárez reported the Haas Automation Mustang was tight center, loose on entry and exit when the first caution was displayed on lap 83 and he prepared to pit.
● After a stop for fuel and four tires, he restarted 14th on lap 87.
● The Mexico native maintained the position until the end of the stage.
● Suárez pitted during the Stage 1 break for fuel, four tires and adjustments to help with the Mustang’s tight condition.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 126-250):
● The No. 41 driver started 14th and ended the stage second to earn nine stage points.
● The 27-year-old Ford driver reached the top-10 on lap 185.
● During the lap-190 caution, Suárez pitted from 10th for fuel and four tires. He restarted 13th on lap 196.
● The next caution was displayed on lap 216, and Suárez did not visit pit road. He restarted 13th on lap 220.
● The Ford driver narrowly missed the No. 14 of his teammate, Clint Bowyer, that spun in front of him and brought out the caution on lap 244. Again, Suárez did not visit pit road.
● In a two-lap shoot out Suárez restarted second, and he ended the stage in the same position.
● During the Stage 2 break, Suárez pitted for fuel and four tires.
Final Recap (Laps 251-500):
● The Haas Automation driver started 16th and finished eighth.
● The stage remained green until lap 361, with Suárez in the 10th position. He reported the No. 41 Ford was a little tight in the center.
● Suárez restarted 10th on lap 370.
● The next caution was displayed on lap 374 with Suárez in ninth. He did not pit and restarted eighth on lap 384.
● The remainder of the race ran under green, and Suárez ultimately finished eighth.
● Suárez earned his ninth top-10 of the season and his second top-10 in six career Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series starts at Bristol.
● Suárez’s eighth-place result equaled his previous best finish at Bristol, which was scored in the series’ last visit to the track in April. Suárez has never finished worse than 18th at Bristol.
● Denny Hamlin won the Bass Pro Shops NRA Night Raceto score his 35th career Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series victory, his fourth of the season and his second at Bristol. His margin of victory over second-place Matt DiBenedetto was .502 of a second.
● There were eight caution periods for a total of 61 laps.
● Only seven of the 39 drivers in the Bass Pro Shops NRA Night Racefinished on the lead lap.
● Kyle Busch remains the championship leader after Bristol with a 39-point advantage over second-place Joey Logano.
Daniel Suárez, Driver of the No. 41 Haas Automation Ford Mustang for Stewart-Haas Racing:
“All in all it was a pretty solid day for the No. 41 Ford Mustang Haas Automation. I feel like we had a top-10 car the entire weekend and that’s pretty much where we ran. It was a positive weekend. I wish we could have finished a little bit better, probably in the top-five or so, but for whatever reason we were strong but we were not super strong.”
The next event on the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series schedule is the Bojangles’ Southern 500 on Sunday, Sept. 1 at Darlington (S.C.) Raceway. The race starts at 6 p.m. EDT with live coverage provided by NBCSN and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio.