Chip Ganassi Racing (CGR) announces a partnership with Las Vegas-based Star Nursery to be the primary sponsor on the No. 1 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, driven by Las Vegas native Kurt Busch, when the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series (MENCS) races at Las Vegas Motor Speedway (LVMS) on Sunday, Mar. 3. The No. 1 Star Nursery Camaro will feature livery to match the car that Busch drove to his first NASCAR Championship 20 years ago.
The No. 1 Chevy Camaro ZL1 will feature a throwback design, similar to the Star Nursery Chevy Monte Carlo that Busch drove to the 1999 NASCAR Southwest Series (NSS) championship. Busch and Star Nursery have enjoyed a relationship for more than two decades, beginning with his early racing days at the LVMS Bullring.
NOTES OF INTEREST:
- Growing Together: Star Nursery was with Kurt Busch from the onset of his NASCAR racing career as sponsor on his NSS race car, after making the move from racing Legends cars at the LVMS Bullring, where he began competing as a youngster.
- Southwestern Success: Busch’s success in the NSS is what helped him to be recognized for the opportunity to make the move to the NASCAR Gander Outdoor Truck Series (NGOTS) and eventually the MENCS. In just 40 NSS starts, he tallied seven wins and one series championship. His first NSS win came in 1998 on his home-track at the LVMS Bullring and his final series start was in 2002 at ISM (Phoenix) Raceway.
- Steady Veteran: In addition to his accomplishments as a veteran in the MENCS, Busch won his first NASCAR touring series race and championship in the NSS. That success paved the way for his progression into the NGOTS, where he was runner-up in the 2000 series championship, before becoming a regular competitor in the MENCS in 2001. He has made a name for himself as a 30-time race winner and 2004 MENCS champion. Busch has also has won marquee races such as the Daytona 500 (2017), the Coca-Cola 600 (2010) and the NASCAR All-Star Race (2010).
- Craig Keough, President, Star Nursery: “It is so exciting to see our Star Nursery car back on the track this weekend at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, especially with Kurt Busch at the wheel again after 20 years! We have always been honored to have been partners with Kurt since his early racing days here in Las Vegas and especially his first NASCAR championship in 1999. We couldn’t be more proud of all his career accomplishments.”
- Doug Duchardt, Chief Operating Officer, Chip Ganassi Racing: “We are delighted to have Star Nursery on the No. 1 car for the Las Vegas race to help commemorate the anniversary of Kurt’s First NASCAR championship, with the sponsor that was with him in his early racing days. I know that it means a lot to our team and Kurt to have Star Nursery on-board for this event.”
- Kurt Busch, No. 1 Star Nursery Chevrolet Camaro ZL1: “It’s hard to believe that it has been 20 years since I won the Championship in the NASCAR Southwest Series. Craig Keough and everyone at Star Nursery has been with me since I began racing. It is special for me to have what I consider one of the most special paint schemes of my career. This Star Nursery car is what spring-boarded me to big-time racing and having a chance to pursue my NASCAR dreams.”