In many ways, this weekend’s Toyota/Save Mart 350 at Sonoma Raceway is a drive into the unknown for rookie driver Ryan Blaney and the Motorcraft/Quick Lane Racing team.
Several times in his first full season behind the wheel of the Wood Brothers’ iconic No. 21 Ford, the 22-year-old rookie has run his first Sprint Cup laps on various tracks on the NASCAR circuit. Blaney, however, usually has some XFINITY Series or Camping World Truck Series track experience on which to build. Not so at Sonoma. He’s never even been to the track before this weekend.
In his most recent road course venture, Blaney qualified third and finished second in the 2015 XFINITY Series race at Elkhart Lake. He won the Camping World Truck Series race at Motorsport Park in Canada in 2014.
“I'm really looking forward to Sonoma. I love road course racing. I've never been there, even to watch my dad race. So this will be my very first time there for any reason.”
Ford Performance PR
Blaney, Motorcraft/Quick Lane Team Driving into Unknown at Sonoma
Latest from Speedway Digest Staff
- Put the Vintage IMS Hall of Fame Museum-logo Tee Shirt on Your Shopping List and Support the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum
- Garrett Smith Preparing For Gobbler 100 Weekend
- Factors to Consider When Choosing a VPN to Watch NASCAR
- NWES Season to culminate with historical Super Speedweek at Valencia
- After frustrating 2020 season Phillips is looking forward to 2021 season at South Boston Speedway