In many ways, this weekend’s Toyota/Save Mart 350 at Sonoma Raceway is a drive into the unknown for rookie driver Ryan Blaney and the Motorcraft/Quick Lane Racing team.
Several times in his first full season behind the wheel of the Wood Brothers’ iconic No. 21 Ford, the 22-year-old rookie has run his first Sprint Cup laps on various tracks on the NASCAR circuit. Blaney, however, usually has some XFINITY Series or Camping World Truck Series track experience on which to build. Not so at Sonoma. He’s never even been to the track before this weekend.
In his most recent road course venture, Blaney qualified third and finished second in the 2015 XFINITY Series race at Elkhart Lake. He won the Camping World Truck Series race at Motorsport Park in Canada in 2014.
“I'm really looking forward to Sonoma. I love road course racing. I've never been there, even to watch my dad race. So this will be my very first time there for any reason.”
Ford Performance PR
Blaney, Motorcraft/Quick Lane Team Driving into Unknown at Sonoma
Latest from Speedway Digest Staff
- Barnes Earns First Delta Speedway Win Of 2021 on Saturday Night
- Bower Claims Fifth Western Midget Racing Win Of 2021 at Ventura
- Clifton Takes Lucky Win in Wild Sportsman 100 at Bowman Gray
- Jaden Brown cruises to second straight Sportsman Mod win at Mahoning Valley Speedway
- Bob Lehman Classic Duel at All American Speedway Goes to Kyle Tellstrom