In many ways, this weekend’s Toyota/Save Mart 350 at Sonoma Raceway is a drive into the unknown for rookie driver Ryan Blaney and the Motorcraft/Quick Lane Racing team.
Several times in his first full season behind the wheel of the Wood Brothers’ iconic No. 21 Ford, the 22-year-old rookie has run his first Sprint Cup laps on various tracks on the NASCAR circuit. Blaney, however, usually has some XFINITY Series or Camping World Truck Series track experience on which to build. Not so at Sonoma. He’s never even been to the track before this weekend.
In his most recent road course venture, Blaney qualified third and finished second in the 2015 XFINITY Series race at Elkhart Lake. He won the Camping World Truck Series race at Motorsport Park in Canada in 2014.
“I'm really looking forward to Sonoma. I love road course racing. I've never been there, even to watch my dad race. So this will be my very first time there for any reason.”
Ford Performance PR
Blaney, Motorcraft/Quick Lane Team Driving into Unknown at Sonoma
Latest from Speedway Digest Staff
- Lucas Oil American Sprint Car Series At U.S. 36 Raceway This Friday
- MOWA Sprint Cars To Open 2020 Season Friday Night At Lincoln Speedway Rico Abreu Looking For Second Straight Win At Track
- Dylan Wilson Wins DIRTcar eSports at Charlotte
- DiBenedetto Wins NASCAR Open, Finishes 13th In All-Star Race
- Clint Bowyer 15th in NASCAR All-Star Race