"This is a special race for us because we get to pay tribute to a NASCAR Hall of Fame inductee. Jerry Cook was a six-time Modified champ, and he'll get inducted with the Class of 2016 coming up in January. But this weekend at Martinsville, we're going to have a replica paint scheme like one of his old Modifieds. His daughter sent us a bunch of personal photos so we could make sure we got the design just right. He'll be there Sunday to see it, so we hope he likes it."
JUST THE FACTS: Gilliland has 18 Sprint Cup starts at Martinsville Speedway ... His best finish at the track known as the "Paperclip" is 19th (2010) ... The No. 38 will pay tribute to 2016 NASCAR Hall of Fame inductee and six-time NASCAR Modified champ Jerry Cook with a replica paint scheme ... Gilliland will be at the speedway's pre-race stage with Cook on Sunday at 10:30 a.m. for a question-and-answer session.
David Gilliland Front Row Motorsports Goody's Headache Relief Shot 500 Preview
Latest from Speedway Digest Staff
- Dale Earnhardt Jr, Steve Kinser to be Inducted into the National Motorsports Press Association Hall of Fame Class of 2021
- Eldora Speedway Will Host TWO Kings Royals Paying $175,000-To-Win In 2021
- Hendrick Motorsports saddened by tragic loss of Rowdy Harrell
- The Tradition Continues: ARCA Menards Series Returns to Talladega Superspeedway on Saturday, April 24, 2021 for Historic 59th Time
- Raphael Lessard Signs with GMS Racing Seeking Full-Time Effort