"Darlington was actually my first big track that I got to go to with the Truck Series. I got the pole, and it was really cool because no one expected us to do that. I think we even had to qualify in on speed. So, to grab the pole and lead a bunch of laps early in the race was something that was just pretty special to me.
"It's as tough as everyone says. We'll definitely use the wall up for sure. You run right against it and it's the fastest way around the track. I like it, even though it wasn't very nice to me in my Cup debut there. We had a decent run going and then got into the wall and caused my own problems. But I've learned a lot since then. So, I look forward to going back there in the Speed Stick Ford and establishing myself a little bit better there. The Lady in Black and I got off on the wrong foot so hopefully we'll be able to rebound this time."
JUST THE FACTS: Whitt has two prior Sprint Cup starts at Darlington Raceway ... He earned the pole position and finished eighth in his only Camping World Truck Series start at the 1.366-mile oval (2011) ... Speed Stick returns as primary sponsor of the No. 35 Ford ... Whitt will be at the Ford Performance display at Darlington Raceway on Sunday at 3 p.m. for fan Q&A.
Cole Whitt Front Row Motorsports Southern 500 Preview
Latest from Speedway Digest Staff
- With Win Borst Continues to Impress as One of New Late Model Frontrunners at South Boston Speedway
- No. 10 Smithfield/Weis Ford Racing: Aric Almirola Dover 1 Advance
- Entenmann’s® Donuts, JTG Daugherty Racing Celebrate Father Figures with the “EntenMAN of the Year Father’s Day Contest”
- 2021 EuroNASCAR entry list: 30 cars and 50 drivers ready to rock at Valencia
- Young’s Motorsports adds Connor Mosack to ARCA lineup