"Kentucky is definitely unique. It's multiple times rougher than any other race track we go to. So, that makes it its own animal. But I'm anxious to get out there with our Love's Travel Stops team and see how the new rules package plays out there. I think, directionally, this package is how a lot of the drivers wanted to go. We want to put on better races for the fans and have more options as drivers in the racecar. Hopefully we'll see more passing and better racing.
"Kentucky will always be a special place for me and my family. That (2006 XFINITY Series) win obviously played a big role in getting me where I am today, and I'm thankful for all the moments and all the people along the way. Now that we go there every year for Cup, it brings back great memories every time."
JUST THE FACTS: Gilliland has four Sprint Cup starts at Kentucky Speedway ... His best finish is 28th (2012 and 2013) ... Gilliland has a victory at Kentucky in the NASCAR XFINITY Series, an upset win in 2006 that propelled him to the Cup series ... Love's Travel Stops returns as primary sponsor of the No. 38 at the 1.5-mile tri-oval ... Gilliland will sign autographs at the Professional Bull Riders display in the Fan Zone Saturday at 4 p.m. with bull rider Douglas Duncan.
David Gilliland Front Row Motorsports Quaker State 400 Preview
Latest from Speedway Digest Staff
- Dixon Runs Away from Field for Breakthrough Victory on IMS Road Course in GMR Grand Prix
- Vandyke earns third straight win, Canter, Dockery, Helton, Phelps and Barnes also visit victory lane
- Bristol Motor Speedway's TN Strong to be sold at Food City stores and during NASCAR All-Star race
- Pennzoil 150 results from Indianapolis Motor Speedway
- Avedisian locks into John Hinck feature, will race for $20k tonight