"Bristol is my favorite racetrack, so I always look forward to it. Over the years, the groove has changed, and it changes where you want to run. With them grinding the track and everything else they've done to it, the top has got a lot of speed. You just carry so much momentum off the corners. The good cars are still running on the bottom and making passes, so that's always your goal.
"It's a very physically and mentally demanding race. You've got to be patient. It's easy to catch someone, but if you want to bump him and pass him, you can't do that at the top because there's nowhere to go. It's just hard to be patient at a track where you're running 14- or 15-second laps."
JUST THE FACTS: Gilliland has 17 Sprint Cup starts at Bristol Motor Speedway ... He has one top-10 and two top-20 finishes at the .533-mile oval ... His best finish at Bristol is ninth (2008) ... MDS Transport returns as primary sponsor of the No. 38 Ford.
David Gilliland Front Row Motorsports Food City 500 Race Preview
Latest from Speedway Digest Staff
- Ty Dillon Joins Driver Lineup for Joe Gibbs Racing Xfinity Team
- Kaulig Racing Announces Personnel and Returning Partners for 2021 Season
- Gas City I-69 Speedway Announces 2021 Schedule
- FOX Sports & FOX Deportes Set Programming Schedule for Daytona Speedweeks Coverage
- Garrett Smithley Returns To Rick Ware Racing For Partial 2021 NASCAR Cup Series Season