McCall named crew chief for McMurray and the No 1 Chevrolet
Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates (CGRFS) announced today that Matt McCall has been named crew chief for Jamie McMurray and the No. 1 team. McCall will assume the role effective immediately to prepare for the 2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series (NSCS) season.
McCall joins CGRFS from Richard Childress Racing where he most recently has been the race engineer for the No. 31 Chevrolet that made it to the Championship round of the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup, ultimately finishing the season second in the championship point standings.
McCall is also a former driver who has competed in the NASCAR Nationwide Series, NASCAR Camping World Truck Series and ARCA Racing Series. In fact, racing has been in his blood from an early age as he began racing go-karts at age nine and eventually joined the World Karting Association Dirt Series where he would ultimately win the honor of Grand National Champion. He would also go on to race in Super Sport events as well.
The Denver, NC native graduated from the University of North Carolina at Charlotte with a major in mechanical engineering. The 33-year-old McCall is also passionate about fitness and holds a third-degree black belt in karate.
McMurray will begin his 13th full-time season in the NSCS in 2015. The 2010 Daytona 500 and Brickyard 400 Winner added another big win to his resume this year with a victory in the 2014 Sprint All-Star race. In nearly 450 career NSCS starts he has accumulated seven wins, 11 poles, 121 top-10 and 52 top-five finishes.
Latest from Speedway Digest Staff
- Round two of NASCAR weekly action streamed live in Roseville this Sat
- Death Wish Coffee Teams up with Front Row Motorsports to "Thank A Trucker"
- NASCAR National Series News & Notes - Daytona International Speedway Road Course
- Richmond Raceway Partners with Virginia Tourism Corporation on NASCAR Xfinity Series Entitlement for Virginia is for Racing Lovers 250
- Encore drive-in nights presents Metallica's first show of 2020 at TMS