It seems like just yesterday Ricky Rudd and Rusty Wallace were swapping paint along the hillside at Turn 7 at the inaugural NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race in Sonoma in 1989.
Rudd survived the battle and took the checkers by just .05 seconds over Wallace in what is still the closest margin of victory for a NASCAR Cup race at Sonoma Raceway. That race included legends like Dale Earnhardt, Bill Elliott and Richard Petty, among others.
Fast-forward to 2013 and stock-car racing is alive and well in Northern California as Sonoma Raceway celebrates the 25th running of the Toyota/Save Mart 350, June 21-23.
Some of the names and faces may have changed over the years, but one thing hasn’t: the race is still one of the most exciting and explosive events on the NASCAR calendar each year.
“You never know what’s going to happen in Sonoma,” said 2012 Sonoma winner Clint Bowyer. “It’s one of those races where there’s a lot of banging going on and you’re just trying to survive. We were lucky enough to win it.”
The raceway has plenty in store for race fans in honor of this very special weekend, including:
- Silver Celebration Ticket: Race fans can save $25 per ticket with this special package that includes seats in either Turns 2, 7 or 9 (rows 6-10), and the first 1,000 accounts will receive a limited-edition 25th Running die-cast car.
- Silver Celebration Q&A: NASCAR legends and contemporary drivers will be front-and-center on the road course at Turn 11 on Sunday, June 23, for a very special Q&A looking back on NASCAR racing in Sonoma.*
- Historic Stock Car Display: The raceway will host a display and parade lap for some of the most iconic stock cars of the last few decades, including cars driven by Dale Earnhardt Sr. and Richard Petty.
- Web-site: Visit racesonoma.com/silvercelebration during the season for special photo galleries and commentary on the first 24 years of Cup racing in Sonoma.
- Bring on the Jets: A very special 25-minute jet show on Sunday, June 23, by the Patriots Jet Team, honoring a quarter-century of Cup racing in Sonoma.
This special weekend can mean only one thing: tickets will go fast. Act today by calling the raceway at 800-870-RACE (7223) or visit racesonoma.com/nascar for the latest information regarding the Silver Celebration of NASCAR in Sonoma.
*-- requires special ticket. Visit racesonoma.com/nascar.
Sonoma Raceway PR